Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Reading Matters: Advance Birthday Gift #2

My 21st year may soon come to a close, but my love for books won't

Last Saturday, I, along with some colleagues, were able to drop by the 35th Manila International Book Fair at the SMX Convention Center, SM Mall of Asia, Pasay City. Of course, you know what happened next.

I spent bucks on books. I'm not telling how much but I'm assuring that it was a really good deal for 8 titles. It's a good addition to my birthday gift bucket.

Below are the titles I got:

1-2. Isang Napakalaking Kaastigan & A-Side / B-Side (Vlad Bautista Gonzales) - Bought this because of the author. He was one of those frequently recommended professors by my peers in UP but no matter how hard I tried, I didn't get any chance of winning a slot in any of his classes. By the time of writing, I am reading Isang Napakalaking Kaastigan and enjoying the collection of short stories. Oh, and his writing actually reminds me of Bob Ong. Actually, there are circulating rumors that Sir Vlad, is indeed, Bob Ong - but I guess we'll never know.

3. Para Kay B (Ricky Lee) - Finally! No need to discuss why I bought this. Ricky Lee is Ricky Lee.

4. Manila Noir (Jessica Hagedorn, Ed.) - Part of the Noir series by Akashic books, the fact that its setting is Manila makes it more interesting. Aside from that, I personally like the list of contributors; Lourd de Veyra, Budjette Tan, Jose Dalisay, etc. Lastly, who would say no to the concept of noir?

5. Parang Kayo, Pero Hindi (Noreen Capili) - Yeah, it may be one of those Wattpad books, but the #whogoats are definitely strong on this one! (Fact: I already have a list of friends who want to borrow the book after I finish reading it. Yeah, because #whogoats)

6. The Lost World (Michael Crichton) - An addition to my Crichton collection (not much of a fan but grew up reading his books), The Lost World, as we all know, is about dinosaurs - and dinosaurs interest me. This book is also the cheapest of the bunch (and the only foreign lit) as I got this for only 10 pesos.

7. Tonio Tikbalang, Vol. 3 (Jake Vicente) - Some would notice the resemblance of the book to Trese series, since the story also involves creatures of the underworld thriving with society. though Tonio Tikbalang is a bit comical in content.

The last title was actually bought 1 week before the MIBF, but I might as well include it here.

8. Ang 13 Pasaway (Jun Cruz Reyes, Ed.) - Powerhouse list of contributors! If you don't have a copy yet, I suggest you get one! I got my copy at Fully Booked Mall of Asia. Also, can I stress how much I love Fully Booked for having copies of this? I usually check National Bookstore for my Phil. Lit. needs, so it was surprising for me to see this book on the shelves of Fully Booked. I really hope they'll sell more Filipino titles soon!

Great bunch, right? Now take a look at this stack of books I need to read:



Happy reading to me, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment